- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large opal® apples, peeled cored and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (2 inch) piece parmesan rind (optional)
- 1 bunch kale or spinach or swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
Cook the sausage in a large sauce pan over medium heat and set aside, about 8 minutes, draining any grease from the pan.
Add the oil and onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the broth, sausage, apples, beans, oregano, bay leaf and parmesan rind, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the apples are just tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Add the kale and simmer until it wilts, about 1-2 minutes.
Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice, remove from heat, remove bay leaf and parmesan rind and serve while hot.
Option: Puree some of the apples and beans for a creamy broth.
This recipe was created by Closet Cooking.